The weather is getting cooler, leaves are starting to change, and the Pumpkin Spice Latte is out in Starbucks. All of these things are signs for us that the Fall (and football season) is here. But for big pharmacies, it means one thing: Flu Season.
You’ve probably seen them at your local pharmacies, signs and ads about the flu shot, with each one competing with the other on where you can get it for cheaper. Doesn’t it seem odd that every time you get the “preventive” flu shot….YOU GET THE FLU!
There has to be a better, proven to be effective, way to protect yourself from the flu this season. Here are some quick tips:
- Vitamin D - It is a well-known fact that this vitamin will boost your immune system by enhancing the strength of white blood cells that fight off invaders-like the flu. Best thing about it is that vitamin D is FREE! Yes, you can get it from the sun. Spend some time outside this season and you will get the protection needed and proven to fight off the flu.
- Power Foods - Oranges and tangerines (full of vitamin C which boosts Immune System), grains (full of Vitamin E which boosts Immune System), Garlic (offers antioxidants and selenium which fights off invaders), Almonds and lima beans (contain Zinc, a mineral which increases production of white blood cells. Almond milk is a great source of Vitamin D, too).
- Exercise - When you exercise, your body speeds up the rate at which it removes waste products. Meaning more bacteria and foreign particles will be flushed from your lungs faster.
- Exercise speeds up your heart rate, meaning more white cells will circulate your body a lot faster.
- Exercise raises your body temperature. Many invading particles and bacteria cannot survive on high temperatures.
- Exercise reduces stress, and stress can prevent your body from working at 100 percent.
- See a trend here. It’s all about allowing your immune system to do its job!
Quick Question. What controls your immune system? You guessed it, your nervous system.
Without a healthy nervous system all of these tips are just as useless as a flu vaccine. Your nervous system is the one that makes sure Vitamin D, C, and E do the job they are capable of doing. It makes sure white blood cells are taken to the exact location the disease is at. So to better prevent the flu this season, just make sure your nervous system is working at 100 percent. How can we make sure of that?
Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself - Andre Gide