Congressman David Scott (GA-13), in partnership with the U.S. Departments of Treasury and Housing and Urban Development (HUD), announced the Making Home Affordable “Help for Homeowners Event” at the Cobb Galleria Centre 1-8 p.m. this Friday.
Homeowners who are struggling to make mortgage payments or refinance should attend to meet in-person with mortgage servicers and HUD-approved housing counselors for assistance at no cost.
With Georgia currently ranked fifth in the nation for foreclosures, Congressman Scott is teaming up with the Obama Administration for the third consecutive year to organize Help for Homeowners Events in Atlanta and strengthen the area housing market by helping more struggling homeowners prevent avoidable foreclosures.
Mortgage assistance options that will be offered include:
- on site preparation of applications for Georgia’s HomeSafe program, which provides up to 18 months of mortgage assistance for the unemployed or underemployed;
- initial counseling to apply for a mortgage modification;
- document signing and review for modifications;
- on-site execution of final modification agreements;
- counseling for homeowners who are current but struggling on their mortgages; and
- short-sale assistance.
More information, including a complete list of participating banks and documents homeowners should bring, is available online at www.davidscott.house.gov.