Mathnasium of Smyrna announced Thursday the winners of its annual TriMathlon math competition for kids in 3rd-6th grade.
The competition was part of Mathnasium Learning Center’s National TriMathlon, aiming at generating excitement about math among kids. Participants competed by completing three challenges:
- The Counting Game, which tests students' ability to count from any number, to any number, by any number;
- Magic Squares, where students are awarded points for developing their own math problems;
- Mental Math Workout, which evaluates students' number sense by asking them to solve given problems the "smart" way without pencil and paper.
The local TriMathlon winners are:
- 3rd Grade
- First Place: Macy Nowlin
- Second Place: Aryan Dongare
- Third Place: Sam Aurora
- 4th Grade
- 1st Place: Aryan Dongare
- 2nd Place: Erin Cleary
- 3rd Place: Jimmy Cyganek
- 5th Grade
- 1st Place: Shail Patel
- 2nd Place: Hunter Marble
- 3rd Place: Payton Nicholson
- 6th Grade
- 1st Place: Zachary Nestor
- 2nd Place: Jack Mallon
- 3rd Place: Rashan Schoffner
Scores of the local winners will be ranked against other competitors nationwide and national winners will be announced in late October.
“Congratulations to the TriMathlon winners and all of the participants,” said Bridget Cleary, Owner of Mathnasium of Smyrna. “We hope this competition was a fun and rewarding experience that continues to strengthen their passion for math.”
The event has grown much since it was first held in 2011. Mathnasium of Smyrna saw a 70 percent increase in participants in this year.